BEIRUT

Middle East

Clashes and shelling as 140,000 flee Iraq

An Iraqi soldier monitors a checkpoint east of Baghdad on January 24, 2014, as deadly clashes continue between security forces and anti-government fighters in Anbar province, east of the capital in what the United National said is Iraq's worst displacement in years.(AFP PHOTO / ALI AL-SAADI)

BAGHDAD: Violence in parts of Anbar province held by anti-government fighters killed three people as the United Nations warned Friday of Iraq’s worst displacement since its brutal 2006-08 sectarian conflict.

More than 140,000 people have fled their homes in the mostly desert province since unrest erupted in late December, as security forces and their tribal allies have been locked in a deadly standoff with militants, including those affiliated with the Al-Qaeda-linked Islamic State of Iraq and Greater Syria (ISIS).

Foreign leaders including U.S. President Barack Obama have urged Baghdad to pursue political measures to undercut support for militants, but with an election looming in April, Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has taken a hard line.

Security forces have mounted a massive operation to retake parts of the Anbar provincial capital Ramadi held by anti-government fighters, and for days have engaged in clashes and exchanged mortar fire.

Shelling which began early Friday of the Ramadi neighborhoods of Malaab and Albu Faraj, both out of the government’s control, killed two people and wounded 30, security and medical officials said.

Government forces and militants also engaged in firefights in Ramadi Thursday evening, but no casualties were reported.

But one person was killed and seven wounded in heavy shelling late Thursday in Fallujah, a former insurgent bastion also west of Baghdad that is entirely held by militants.

Fallujah residents blamed the army for the shelling, but defense officials said that the military was not responsible.

Parts of Ramadi and all of Fallujah have for weeks been in the hands of anti-government fighters, including members of ISIS.

It marks the first time militants have exercised such open control in Iraqi cities since the peak of the violence that followed the 2003 U.S.-led invasion.

The government often says it is fighting Al-Qaeda while Fallujah residents and tribal sheikhs have said ISIS has tightened its grip on the city. But other militant groups and anti-government tribes have also been involved in battling government forces in Anbar.

The U.N. Friday warned that the continued unrest had sparked Iraq’s worst displacement since the country’s bloody sectarian war from 2006 to 2008, which left tens of thousands dead.

More than 140,000 had fled their homes since the conflict began, U.N. refugee agency (UNHCR) spokesman Peter Kessler said, including more than 65,000 in the past week alone.

“Many civilians are unable to leave conflict-affected areas where food and fuel are now in short supply,” he said.

Thousands of displaced have fled to Baghdad and other nearby provinces, but some have traveled as far as the northern Kurdish region, according to U.N.

“People are reportedly without money for food and lack suitable clothing for the rainy conditions. Children are not in school and sanitary conditions, particularly for women, are inadequate,” he said.

Fighting erupted in the Ramadi area on Dec. 30, when security forces cleared a year-old Sunni Arab protest camp.

The violence then spread to Fallujah, as militants moved in and seized the city and parts of Ramadi after security forces withdrew.

Authorities meanwhile found two dead bodies near the restive city of Baqouba, north of Baghdad, the latest in a nationwide surge in violence that, coupled with the Anbar unrest, has left more than 750 people dead so far this month.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

Violence in parts of Anbar province held by anti-government fighters killed three people as the United Nations warned Friday of Iraq's worst displacement since its brutal 2006-08 sectarian conflict.

Government forces and militants also engaged in firefights in Ramadi Thursday evening, but no casualties were reported.

But one person was killed and seven wounded in heavy shelling late Thursday in Fallujah, a former insurgent bastion also west of Baghdad that is entirely held by militants.

The violence then spread to Fallujah, as militants moved in and seized the city and parts of Ramadi after security forces withdrew.


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here