BEIRUT

Middle East

Al-Qaeda-inspired group claims deadly Cairo bombings

Police officers inspect the site of a bomb attack in front of the damaged Cairo Security Directorate building, which includes police and state security, in downtown Cairo January 24, 2014. REUTERS/Mohamed Abd El Ghany

CAIRO: An Al-Qaeda inspired group in Egypt claimed responsibility on Saturday for four bombings targeting police in Cairo that killed six people the day before.

Ansar Beit al-Maqdis, or Partisans of Jerusalem, also called in its statement for Muslims to stay away from police buildings.

The group had previously taken responsibility for some of the deadliest bombings across the country following the military's overthrow of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in July.

The group, in a statement posted on a website used by Islamist militants, said it remotely detonated a car bomb outside Cairo police headquarters on Friday morning that killed four people, and followed up the attack with three other bombings across the capital.

"In this context, we repeat our call to our people in Egypt to avoid security and police installations, because we are trying very hard to avoid harming Muslims," the statement said.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here