BEIRUT

Middle East

Moroccans sew mouths shut in fresh protest at Italy detention

  • (FILES) In this file picture immigrants stand next mattress inside the "Temporary Permanence Centre" (CPT), a refugee camp, in Lampedusa on October 8, 2013. AFP PHOTO / ROBERTO SALOMONE

ROME: Thirteen Moroccan immigrants held in a migrant centre on the outskirts of Rome have sewn their lips together in the second such protest at their lengthy detention, Italian media reported Sunday.

The men, aged between 20 and 30, had already stitched their mouths shut in a week-long protest in December over their long stay in a supposedly short-term detention facility.

They had only ended that protest at the Ponte Galeria facility south of Rome after assurance that their cases would be speedily dealt with.

"It is clear that time in politics moves more slowly than it does for these people, who have gone from the drama of a difficult immigration journey to places of little dignity such as the detention centres," said Angiolo Marroni, a state official charged with protecting prisoners' welfare in the Lazio region.

"I hope that parliament keeps its word and quickly approves the necessary regulations to put an end to this shame," he said.

The heavily guarded detention centre, located near Rome's Fiumicino airport to facilitate deportations, houses around 100 illegal migrants.

The men, who used a thread from a blanket and a small needle to sew their mouths shut, all made the perilous journey from Libya to the Italian island of Lampedusa on overcrowded dinghies.

More than 33,000 migrants landed in Italy from January 2013 to late October -- nearly three times the number for 2012. Most come from impoverished African countries but now also from Syria.

In December, the European Union condemned the "appalling" conditions at some of the country's migrant centres, following the release of footage of naked asylum-seekers being hosed down at a facility on Lampedusa.

Lampedusa hit the headlines in October when a boat laden with migrants caught fire and capsized within sight of the shore, killing 366 people in the worst Mediterranean migrant tragedy yet.

 
Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here