BEIRUT

Middle East

Condemnation, clashes over killed Palestinian teen

  • A man gestures as Israeli security and a Palestinian stone thrower clash in the Shuafat neighborhood in occupied East Jerusalem, on July 2, 2014. AFP PHOTO / AHMAD GHARABLI

OCCUPIED JERUSALEM: The discovery of a body in an occupied Jerusalem forest Wednesday raised suspicions that a missing Palestinian youth had been killed by Israelis avenging the deaths of three abducted Jewish teens.

Rock-throwing Palestinians clashed with Israeli forces in occupied Jerusalem after the news, but no serious injuries were reported.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, in a statement, urged police to "to swiftly investigate who was behind the loathsome murder and its motive." He called on all sides "not to take the law into their own hands."

Palestinian residents in Shuafat, an Arab suburb of Jerusalem, told Reuters that they had seen a teenager forced into a vehicle outside a supermarket Tuesday night. They identified him as Mohammad Abu Khudair, 16.

An Israeli security source said that Israel suspected the youth had been kidnapped and murdered, possibly in retribution for the killings of the Israeli teens, whose bodies were found Monday, nearly three weeks after they were abducted in the occupied West Bank.

Israel says that Palestinian Hamas militants killed them. The Islamist group has neither confirmed nor denied the allegation.

A senior official of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas' Fatah movement told Reuters that the missing teenager's family had identified the corpse, found in the wooded outskirts of Jerusalem. The family was not immediately available for comment.

"The Israeli government bears responsibility for Jewish terrorism and for the kidnapping and murder in occupied Jerusalem," the Fatah official, Dmitry Diliani, said.

Israeli Internal Security Minister Yitzhak Aharonovitch said that it was too early to draw conclusions as to the motive.

"We know of a boy who apparently was abducted and we see a link to the discovery of a body. This is still under investigation by the forensic labs and detectives," Aharonovitch told reporters. The three Jewish seminary students were buried Tuesday in a funeral attended by tens of thousands of mourners.

While the teenagers were laid to rest in the city of Modi'in, several hundred Israeli demonstrators, some chanting "Death to Arabs," blocked the main entrance to Jerusalem.

Cries for revenge have echoed throughout the decades-old Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

They can be heard at the emotionally charged funerals of Palestinians killed by Israel, and the phrase "May God avenges his death" is often invoked at the burials of Israelis slain by Palestinians.

But deadly Israeli vigilante attacks, in declared retribution for Palestinian assaults, have been rare in recent years.

More common are the so-called "Price Tag" incidents in which mosques and Palestinian property are torched or damaged - a reference by ultranationalist Jews to making the government "pay" for any curbs on Jewish settlement on Palestinian land.

Before Netanyahu issued his statement, Abbas, who had condemned the abduction of the three Israeli youths, called on the Israeli leader to condemn the killing of the Palestinian teen, the Palestinian state news agency WAFA said.

Tensions were also high in the West Bank, where around 40 Palestinians were arrested in raids Tuesday, the latest in a campaign by Israel to cripple Hamas there.

Four people were wounded by live bullets early Wednesday in an Israeli raid in the Palestinian city of Jenin.

Near Hebron, Israeli forces destroyed the home of a Palestinian arrested on charges of shooting dead an off-duty police officer in the West Bank in April.

Israel, which suspended the demolition policy in 2005 as a Palestinian uprising waned, says that destroying the homes of Palestinians involved in attacks on Israelis has a deterrent effect. Rights groups have condemned the practice as collective punishment.

 
Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

The discovery of a body in an occupied Jerusalem forest Wednesday raised suspicions that a missing Palestinian youth had been killed by Israelis avenging the deaths of three abducted Jewish teens.

Rock-throwing Palestinians clashed with Israeli forces in occupied Jerusalem after the news, but no serious injuries were reported.

An Israeli security source said that Israel suspected the youth had been kidnapped and murdered, possibly in retribution for the killings of the Israeli teens, whose bodies were found Monday, nearly three weeks after they were abducted in the occupied West Bank.

Before Netanyahu issued his statement, Abbas, who had condemned the abduction of the three Israeli youths, called on the Israeli leader to condemn the killing of the Palestinian teen, the Palestinian state news agency WAFA said.


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here