BEIRUT

Middle East

Five dead in Cairo on anniversary of Morsi ouster

  • Supporters of Egypt's former president Mohammad Morsi run from tear gas during clashes with police in Cairo July 3, 2014. (REUTERS/Al-Youm Al-Saabi Newspaper)

CAIRO: Five men died in Cairo in separate incidents involving a bomb blast and protester clashes with security forces Thursday, the first anniversary of the ouster of Islamist President Mohammad Morsi, security sources said.

Thousands of Egyptians opposed to the army's ouster of Morsi last year joined rare protests in cities and towns around the country, witnesses said. Previous protests had much lower turnout after a new law required official approval.

Security was tight in Cairo as armored personnel carriers blocked off the city's central Tahrir Square to head off any possible protests there.

Since Morsi's ouster, his Muslim Brotherhood group was labeled a terrorist organization and thousands of Islamists have been jailed on accusations of terrorism and violence while militant Islamists have stepped up attacks on security forces.

"On July 3, Egyptians will revolt, marking the beginning of the end of the coup, marching from all towns and cities across Egypt to liberty squares in all provinces," an alliance of Morsi's supporters said in a statement late Wednesday.

Three of Thursday's victims died in clashes that broke out in Cairo between protesters and security forces, security sources said. Unrest was reported both from the upscale district of Mohandiseen and poor areas such as Haram and Materiya

Earlier in the day, two men were killed in a bomb blast in a flat in Kerdasa, a western district of the capital where around 10 policemen were killed in an Islamist mob attack last summer. Security sources said that they believed one of the victims was involved in that police killing.

Another explosive device detonated Thursday in a car in the northeastern district of Abbassiya and three home-made bombs went off near police cars in the central district of Imbaba without causing injuries, the sources added.

There were no immediate claims of responsibility for the blasts. Cairo has been hit by a spate of small explosions in recent days and two police officers were killed Monday trying to defuse bombs planted near the presidential palace.

Last week, a series of makeshift bombs exploded at Cairo metro stations, the first in the capital since Sisi was sworn in as president.

Following Morsi's overthrow last July, security services launched a crackdown on Muslim Brotherhood politicians, activists and street protesters, jailing thousands and killing hundreds in clashes and raids.

Since then, some radical Islamist groups have repeatedly targeted police and soldiers in the capital and elsewhere, mostly by planting makeshift bombs.

The Muslim Brotherhood denies any link to the violence.

The authorities' security dragnet has expanded over the past year to include secular and liberal activists, including many who played leading roles in a 2011 popular revolt that ousted veteran leader Hosni Mubarak after 30 years in power.

A law passed after Morsi's fall has sharply restricted the right to protest. Last month, around 23 activists were arrested over a rally in Cairo against the new law.

Western governments and rights groups have voiced concern for freedom of expression in Egypt and the security clamp-down has dimmed hopes for democratic evolution in Egypt that had soared after the anti-Mubarak uprising three years ago.

Amnesty International condemned Egypt's human rights record in a statement Thursday, saying that torture, arbitrary arrests and detentions had increased since Morsi's political demise.

"Egypt's notorious state security forces - currently known as National Security - are back and operating at full capacity, employing the same methods of torture and other ill-treatment used during the darkest hours of the Mubarak era," said Hassiba Hadj Sahraoui, deputy director of Amnesty's Middle East and North Africa program.

The government of President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi, who led the army ouster of Morsi, says that it is committed to a democratic transition and the rule of law following the 2011 uprising.

 
Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

Five men died in Cairo in separate incidents involving a bomb blast and protester clashes with security forces Thursday, the first anniversary of the ouster of Islamist President Mohammad Morsi, security sources said.

Thousands of Egyptians opposed to the army's ouster of Morsi last year joined rare protests in cities and towns around the country, witnesses said.

Since Morsi's ouster, his Muslim Brotherhood group was labeled a terrorist organization and thousands of Islamists have been jailed on accusations of terrorism and violence while militant Islamists have stepped up attacks on security forces.

Three of Thursday's victims died in clashes that broke out in Cairo between protesters and security forces, security sources said.

The government of President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi, who led the army ouster of Morsi, says that it is committed to a democratic transition and the rule of law following the 2011 uprising.


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here