BEIRUT

Middle East

Israel boosts forces near Gaza as border heats up

Israeli right-wing protestors hold up a placard which reads in Hebrew, "Don't wait for the killer to kill you, kill him first" in the southern Israeli town of Sderot, on July 3, 2014.AFP PHOTO / JACK GUEZ

OCCUPIED JERUSALEM: Israel beefed up its forces along its frontier with the Gaza Strip and launched airstrikes against militant Hamas targets there Thursday in response to persistent Palestinian cross-border rocket attacks.

There was also a second day of violent Palestinian protests in Jerusalem after the discovery of the body of a 16-year-old Palestinian boy Wednesday in a forest near the city.

Israeli police are investigating the possibility that he was the victim of a revenge killing over the deaths of three Jewish teenagers, whose abduction on June 12 Israel has blamed on Islamist Hamas militants in the occupied West Bank.

Lieutenant Colonel Peter Lerner, a military spokesman, said troops were taking up “defense positions” in Israeli communities that have been struck by the rockets from Gaza. He did not comment on the scale of the deployment.

It is the first time since the border began to heat up in mid-June – in tandem with an Israeli military sweep and search for the three abducted Israeli youths in the West Bank – that Israel has announced troop movements near the Gaza Strip.

“We are moving and we have moved forces,” Lerner said in a conference call with foreign journalists. “Everything we are doing is to de-escalate the situation but on the other hand to be prepared if they don’t de-escalate.”

Israel has “no interest in deepening the conflict with Gaza – the absolute opposite is true,” he added.

Abu Ubaida, the spokesman for Hamas’ armed wing, Izz al-Deen Al-Qassam Brigades, accused Israel of breaching a cease-fire brokered after a 2012 eight-day cross-border war, and said the group would respond according to the developments on the ground.

“Our people know well how to exact a heavy price from the enemy,” Ubaida said at a news conference in Gaza.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu convened his security Cabinet for a fourth time since Monday, an official said, as tension remained high in Jerusalem in anticipation of the funeral of the Palestinian youth, Mohammad Abu Khudair.

No time has been set for the burial, an event that will stir strong emotions among Palestinians and could trigger further confrontation.

Police clashed with a few dozen stone-throwing Palestinians in Jerusalem’s Arab neighborhood Shuafat, but the violence was on a much smaller scale than Wednesday.

The military said Palestinians in the Gaza Strip had fired 20 projectiles into Israel Thursday and that rockets struck two homes in the southern town of Sderot, causing no casualties.

Israel launched airstrikes against at least three Hamas training facilities in Gaza, residents said, adding that 15 people had been injured.

U.N. human rights chief Navi Pillay condemned both sides Thursday, but in particular the Israeli response.

“From a human rights point of view, I utterly condemn these rocket attacks and more especially I condemn Israel’s excessive acts of retaliation,” the U.N. chief told journalists in Vienna.

The Palestinian youth Abu Khudair was last seen alive being bundled into a van Wednesday near his home in the Arab neighborhood of Shuafat in Jerusalem, a day after the burials of the Jewish teenagers, who were abducted on June 12.

Abu Khudair’s family said police, who have stepped up patrols in the city, told them the body would be released at predawn Friday.

President Mahmoud Abbas, who accused Jewish settlers of killing the teenager, spoke by telephone with the youth’s father Thursday.

“Mohammad is one of the martyrs of this great people,” Abbas said, according to the official Palestinian news agency, WAFA.

Netanyahu has called the killing a “loathsome murder” and has urged all sides not to take the law into their own hands.

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on July 04, 2014, on page 10.

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

Israel beefed up its forces along its frontier with the Gaza Strip and launched airstrikes against militant Hamas targets there Thursday in response to persistent Palestinian cross-border rocket attacks.

There was also a second day of violent Palestinian protests in Jerusalem after the discovery of the body of a 16-year-old Palestinian boy Wednesday in a forest near the city.

Israeli police are investigating the possibility that he was the victim of a revenge killing over the deaths of three Jewish teenagers, whose abduction on June 12 Israel has blamed on Islamist Hamas militants in the occupied West Bank.

Lieutenant Colonel Peter Lerner, a military spokesman, said troops were taking up "defense positions" in Israeli communities that have been struck by the rockets from Gaza.

The military said Palestinians in the Gaza Strip had fired 20 projectiles into Israel Thursday and that rockets struck two homes in the southern town of Sderot, causing no casualties.


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here