BEIRUT

Middle East

Two cylinders seized by regime held sarin: U.N.

File - United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon , second right, speaks with his wife Ban Soon-Taek, left, and UNEP Executive Director Achim Steiner, second left, during Secretary General's visit to the Nairobi Animal Orphanage on Saturday, June 28, 2014, at the end of the UN Environment Assembly. (AP Photo/Sayyid Azim)

UNITED NATIONS: Two cylinders reportedly seized by Syrian government troops in an area controlled by armed opposition groups contained sarin, U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said in a letter to the U.N. Security Council published Monday.

Ban said that on June 14, the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons United Nations Joint Mission overseeing the destruction of Syria’s chemical stockpile analyzed the contents of the cylinders.

“The Joint Mission confirmed that these contained sarin,” said Ban’s letter. The letter said the cylinders were “reportedly seized by the armed forces of the Syrian Arab Republic in Aug. 2013 in an area reportedly under the control of armed opposition groups.”

OPCW chief Ahmet Uzumcu said in a report attached to Ban’s letter that the Syrian government declared the cylinders “as abandoned chemical weapons,” but neither Uzumcu nor Ban stated when they were handed over to the joint mission.

Uzumcu said the Syrian government told the OPCW “the items did not belong to it.” Ban said the mission was discussing with the Syrian government how to destroy the cylinders and their contents. It was unclear if they had yet been destroyed.

An OPCW report in October mentioned Syrian authorities had found two cylinders, but it was not clear if the cylinders had been handed over to the joint mission at that time.

Syria agreed last September to destroy its entire chemical weapons program under a deal negotiated with the United States and Russia after hundreds of people were killed in a sarin gas attack in August on the outskirts of the capital, Damascus.

The agreement averted U.S. military strikes in response to the worst chemical weapons attack in decades, which Washington and its European allies blamed on the government of President Bashar Assad. Assad blamed the chemical attack on rebels fighting to oust him.

Sigrid Kaag, head of the joint mission, briefed the U.N. Security Council behind closed doors Monday. Syria handed over the final consignment of its declared 1,300 tons of chemicals on June 23. The toxins have been removed from Syria for destruction at sea or in other countries.

But Ban’s June 26 letter listed tasks still to be completed for the full elimination of the chemical weapons program, including “the conclusion of ongoing consultations regarding any possible remaining discrepancies in the original declaration.”

Kaag’s mission has asked Assad’s government to clarify these disparities in its initial declaration of toxic materials. “It is now essential that every effort be made to achieve the full elimination of the chemical weapons program of the Syrian Arab Republic at the very earliest opportunity, including the destruction of remaining production facilities and the resolution of any possible remaining technical discrepancies in the original declaration,” Ban wrote in the letter.

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on July 08, 2014, on page 8.

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

Two cylinders reportedly seized by Syrian government troops in an area controlled by armed opposition groups contained sarin, U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said in a letter to the U.N. Security Council published Monday.

Ban said that on June 14, the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons United Nations Joint Mission overseeing the destruction of Syria's chemical stockpile analyzed the contents of the cylinders.

Ban said the mission was discussing with the Syrian government how to destroy the cylinders and their contents.

An OPCW report in October mentioned Syrian authorities had found two cylinders, but it was not clear if the cylinders had been handed over to the joint mission at that time.

Syria handed over the final consignment of its declared 1,300 tons of chemicals on June 23 .


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here