BEIRUT

Middle East

US condemns "brazen" firing of rockets by Hamas

Israeli soldiers ride armored personnel carriers outside the Gaza Strip July 15, 2014. (REUTERS/Nir Elias)

VIENNA: U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry condemned Hamas militants Tuesday for firing rockets from the Gaza Strip, after Israel had accepted a truce proposed by Egypt.

"I cannot condemn strongly enough the actions of Hamas in so brazenly firing rockets, in multiple numbers, in the face of a goodwill effort (to secure) a cease-fire," Kerry told a news conference in Vienna.

He said the international community strongly supported the need for a cease-fire, as there was "the potential of an even greater escalation of violence."

"We don't want to see that, nobody does... But Israel has the right to defend itself," Kerry said.

Israel threatened Tuesday to abandon the truce it had unilaterally accepted earlier in the day if the Hamas rocket salvos continued.

A top Hamas official in Cairo said the Islamist movement was still considering Egypt's proposal. But Hamas' armed wing rejected the cease-fire, saying its battle with Israel would "increase in ferocity and intensity."

Kerry said: "We urge all parties to support this cease-fire."

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here