BEIRUT

Middle East

Israeli naval shelling kills 4 boys on Gaza beach

A Palestinian man inspects the damage of a police post, following an Israeli missile strike killing four boys from the same extended Bakr family, in Gaza City, Wednesday, July 16, 2014. (AP Photo/Khalil Hamra)

GAZA/OCCUPIED JERUSALEM: Israeli shelling killed four boys on a Gaza beach Wednesday, a local health official said, and Palestinian militants fired a further 70 rockets into Israel after a failed Egyptian attempt to halt more than a week of warfare.

Israel urged the evacuation of several districts in the Gaza Strip where more than 100,000 people live, threatening ground operations to try to stem the rocket attacks.

An Israeli official said the defense minister asked Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's security Cabinet to authorize the mobilization of another 8,000 reserve troops. The military has said that around 30,000 reservists have been called up since the Israeli offensive began a week ago.

Israeli experts predicted overland raids in the Gaza Strip to destroy command bunkers and tunnels that have allowed the outgunned Palestinians to withstand air and naval barrages and keep the rockets flying.

The Hamas political leadership formally rejected Cairo's cease-fire plan Wednesday, a spokesman for the Islamist group said, a day after its armed wing spurned it and kept up rocket salvos at Israel, which held its fire for six hours Tuesday.

Ashraf al-Qidra of the Gaza Health Ministry said shelling from an Israeli gunboat off Gaza's Mediterranean coast killed four boys - two aged 10 and the others 9 and 11 - from one family and critically wounded another youngster on the beach.

An Israeli military spokesman had no immediate comment. Netanyahu says the armed forces try to avoid civilian casualties but that militant rocket crews deliberately put non-combatants at risk by operating in densely populated residential areas.

Ahmed Abu Hassera, who witnessed the incident at the shore, told Reuters: "The kids were playing on the beach. They were all ... under the age of 15."

Israeli shelling has frequently targeted Gaza beaches, which are suspected staging areas for militants.

"When the first shell hit land, they ran away but another shell hit them all," said Abu Hassera, whose shirt was stained with blood. "It looked as if the shells were chasing them."

Reacting to the incident, Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri told reporters in Gaza: "These crimes will not succeed to break our will. We will continue the confrontation and resistance and we promise (Israel) will pay the price for all these crimes."

Earlier, Israeli attacks in the Gaza Strip killed at least eight Palestinians, five of them civilians, and a six-year-old boy died of wounds sustained a few days ago, Gaza medics said, raising the death toll in the Hamas-dominated enclave to 213.

Gaza health officials say most of the Palestinian dead from in the worst flare-up of violence with Israel in two years have been civilians.

Gaza's Al-Mezan Center for Human rights said 259 houses had been demolished by Israeli airstrikes and 1,034 damaged along with 34 mosques and four hospitals.

The rocket volleys from Gaza have a race to shelters a daily routine for hundreds of thousands in the Jewish state. One Israeli has been killed in the rocket fire, most of whose projectiles have crashed on open ground or been intercepted by Israel's Iron Dome anti-missile shield.

The military said Iron Dome shot down 23 of the 70 rockets launched at Israel Wednesday, while the others struck without causing casualties. One salvo, at coastal Ashkelon, forced visiting Norwegian Foreign Minister Borge Brende into a shelter.

In Gaza's eastern Shejaia and Zeitoun districts, bastions of popular support for Hamas and the Islamic Jihad faction, there was no sign residents were heeding the Israeli call to leave.

Authorized by Netanyahu's security Cabinet to escalate the offensive, the military relayed warnings to inhabitants in northern Gaza with dropped leaflets and mass phone calls.

"Failure to comply will endanger your lives and the lives of your family," said a recorded message received by residents of Shejaia and Zeitoun, which sprawl out to the barbed-wire border with Israel.

Maher Abu Saaed, a 45-year-old doctor in Zeitoun, said that with many areas of Gaza under attack, nowhere was safe and he would not leave despite a telephoned Israeli warning to get out.

"To ask hundreds of people to leave their houses and go to the center of the city is insane, a sick joke," he said.

World powers urged calm, worried about spiraling casualties in one of the world's mostly crowded areas.

Announcing the movement's formal rejection of the cease-fire plan, Abu Zuhri said: "The outcome of discussions within the internal institutions of the movement was to reject the proposal and, therefore, Hamas informed Egypt last night it apologizes for not accepting it."

Hamas leaders have said any Gaza cease-fire must include an end to Israel's blockade of the territory, re-commitment to a truce reached in an eight-day war there in 2012 and the release of hundreds of its activists arrested in the occupied West Bank while Israel hunted for three abducted Jewish seminary students.

The three teens were later found dead, and a Palestinian youth was later murdered in what appeared a revenge attack by Israelis. Those killings led to the current bout of hostilities.

Hamas also wants Egypt to ease curbs at its Rafah crossing with Gaza, imposed after the toppling of Islamist President Mohammad Morsi in Cairo a year ago.

The truce proposal announced by Egypt's Foreign Ministry spoke only in general terms about opening Gaza's borders and made no mention of the Hamas men held by Israel.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

Israeli shelling killed four boys on a Gaza beach Wednesday, a local health official said, and Palestinian militants fired a further 70 rockets into Israel after a failed Egyptian attempt to halt more than a week of warfare.

Israel urged the evacuation of several districts in the Gaza Strip where more than 100,000 people live, threatening ground operations to try to stem the rocket attacks.

The military has said that around 30,000 reservists have been called up since the Israeli offensive began a week ago.

Ashraf al-Qidra of the Gaza Health Ministry said shelling from an Israeli gunboat off Gaza's Mediterranean coast killed four boys -- two aged 10 and the others 9 and 11 -- from one family and critically wounded another youngster on the beach.

Israeli shelling has frequently targeted Gaza beaches, which are suspected staging areas for militants.

Earlier, Israeli attacks in the Gaza Strip killed at least eight Palestinians, five of them civilians, and a six-year-old boy died of wounds sustained a few days ago, Gaza medics said, raising the death toll in the Hamas-dominated enclave to 213 .


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here