BEIRUT

Middle East

Hamas officially rejects Gaza cease-fire proposal

Palestinians inspect the damage caused be an early morning Israeli missile strike in Gaza City July 16, 2014. (AP Photo/Khalil Hamra)

GAZA: Hamas has officially told Egypt that it rejects an Egyptian-proposed Gaza cease-fire, a spokesman for the Islamist group said Wednesday.

"The outcome of discussions within the internal institutions of the movement was to reject the proposal and therefore, Hamas informed Egypt last night it apologizes for not accepting it," spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said.

Hamas' armed wing had already spurned the Egyptian plan Tuesday, and Israel, which briefly halted its Gaza offensive, resumed attacks after cross-border rocket fire from the Palestinian territory persisted.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here