BEIRUT

Middle East

Iraq suicide bomber was Australian teen

Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott speaks alongside foreign minister Julie Bishop at a press conference in Sydney on July 19, 2014. AFP PHOTO / SAEED KHAN

SYDNEY: An 18-year-old Australian man was behind a deadly suicide bomb attack in Iraq last week, authorities said Monday, with Attorney-General George Brandis calling it a "disturbing development".

The blast last Thursday near a mosque in Baghdad left several dead, including the teenager, who left Melbourne for the region last year.

Reports said the Islamic State of Iraq and Greater Syria named him as Abu Bakr al-Australi on an affiliated Twitter feed, with Brandis' office confirming he was Australian.

"This is a disturbing development and is a further example of the dangerous and volatile situation in Iraq at present," Brandis said in a statement.

"The government deplores the violent actions being undertaken by ISIS and other extremist groups in Iraq and Syria, and is deeply concerned about the involvement of Australians in these activities.

"As I have said many times, it is illegal for Australians to engage in the conflicts in Iraq and Syria and the government urges Australians not to travel to the region."

The statement said he was the second Australian suicide bomber in the Iraq and Syria conflicts, without providing further details.

Last month Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said she was deeply concerned that about 150 Australians, some dual citizens, were learning the "terrorist trade" fighting alongside Sunni militants in Iraq and Syria.

"The participation by Australians in the conflict in Iraq and Syria poses a significant domestic security threat to Australia when those involved return home and seek to pursue violence here," said Brandis.

"The government will continue to take all necessary measures to keep Australia and Australian interests safe."

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

An 18-year-old Australian man was behind a deadly suicide bomb attack in Iraq last week, authorities said Monday, with Attorney-General George Brandis calling it a "disturbing development".

"As I have said many times, it is illegal for Australians to engage in the conflicts in Iraq and Syria and the government urges Australians not to travel to the region".

The statement said he was the second Australian suicide bomber in the Iraq and Syria conflicts, without providing further details.


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here