BEIRUT: The Hamas-affiliated Al-Aqsa TV broadcasted Tuesday night a video allegedly showing militants of its Al-Qassam brigades attacking an Israeli military base, killing 10 soldiers and attempting to capture one.
The video allegedly shows combatants belonging to Hamas’s military wing equipped with machine guns and portable rocket launchers going out of a tunnel and appearing next to what was reported as “an armored enormous military tower,” belonging to the Nahol Aouzunit of the Israeli army.
Al-Qassam released a statement in parallel with the video's release, saying the operation killed all the 10 soldiers at the Israeli military base. The brigades said another soldier was about to be captured but was not due to "field circumstances.”
The statement stated that the attack was performed at 6:45 p.m. Monday, and resulted in apprehending a Tavor weapon, the details of which were shown in the video. As for the militants, they all went back safe to their bases, according to the statement.
Hamas’s military wing said the operation came in retaliation for the “assault and massacres by the occupation,” and pledged the continuation of its struggle to achieve “victory and liberation.”
The Gaza Health Ministry said 1,270 Palestinians, most of them civilians, had been killed since Israel began its offensive on July 8 with the declared aim of halting cross-border rocket fire.
While the Israeli army has reported 53 soldiers and three civilians killed so far, Hamas says that 110 have been killed.