BEIRUT

Middle East

Iraq fighting forces half million from home: UNHCR

File - Iraqi Security forces preparing to attack al-Qaida positions in Ramadi, 70 miles (115 kilometers) west of Baghdad, Iraq, Feb. 2, 2014.(AP Photo)

GENEVA: The number of people driven from their homes by fighting in Iraq's Anbar province may have spiralled to 480,000, the UN refugee agency warned Friday.

"As of today, the Iraqi government says 434,000 men, women and children have fled their homes since fighting escalated in January this year," said Adrian Edwards, spokesman for the UN high commissioner for refugees.

"However, the full scale of the displacement from this under-reported conflict is unknown, as the Iraqi authorities have had to suspend registration over the past month because of insecurity. UNHCR believes the current figure is now close to 480,000," he told reporters in Geneva.

A special UNHCR appeal to help the victims of the crisis was launched in March but has only gathered 12 percent of the $26.4 million needed, he said.

The crisis began in January with fighting between government forces and rebels in eastern Anbar, and has continued in waves as conflict erupted in different parts of the province.

Displacement jumped last month when fighters deliberately breached a dam in Anbar's Abu Ghraib district, flooding the area and forcing some 72,000 people from their homes, Edwards said.

That has compounded the displacement crisis because people are struggling to get access to clean water, raising health risks.

"Local officials say 28 tanker truckloads of potable water are being delivered to the area every day, but this is only meeting 50 percent of needs," said Edwards.

In addition, there are fears that more civilians will flee the city of Fallujah, where recent shelling hit a hospital and water plant.

Violence was meanwhile hampering efforts to help those in desperate need.

"We urgently need to ramp up our response which is difficult for three reasons. We have deteriorating security in Anbar hindering access to people in need, the displaced are spread out across much of the country, and donor support is lacking," said Edwards.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

Iraq fighting forces half million from home: UNHCR

The number of people driven from their homes by fighting in Iraq's Anbar province may have spiralled to 480,000, the UN refugee agency warned Friday.

A special UNHCR appeal to help the victims of the crisis was launched in March but has only gathered 12 percent of the $26.4 million needed, he said.

Displacement jumped last month when fighters deliberately breached a dam in Anbar's Abu Ghraib district, flooding the area and forcing some 72,000 people from their homes, Edwards said.


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here