BEIRUT: The Syrian authorities are taking steps to crack down on the firing of weapons to celebrate President Bashar Assad’s taking the oath of office, after celebratory gunfire during his election win last week killed or wounded dozens of people, a pro-regime media outlet said Tuesday.
The Damas Post website cited sources in the government as saying that the Defense and Interior ministries were in the process of issuing strict orders that “not a single bullet” be wasted, with the country at war against insurgents, either before or after Assad’s appearance in parliament to officially begin his third term.
The sources said the moves were designed to prevent a repeat of the “scenario” of last week, when Assad’s election victory was announced and celebratory gunfire erupted in several Syrian cities and parts of Lebanon.
At least 12 people were believed to have been killed by the shooting, and scores wounded. An anti-regime website, meanwhile, published what it claimed was an official list of the victims in the province of Tartous alone, where one person was killed and 26 wounded.
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on June 11, 2014, on page 8.