BEIRUT

Middle East

Israel presses Abbas over kidnapped teens

An Israeli soldier blindfolds of a Palestinian suspected of throwing stones as he detains him during clashes in the West Bank City of Hebron June 16, 2014. REUTERS/Baz Ratner

OCCUPIED JERUSALEM: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu demanded Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas’ help Monday in securing the release of three kidnapped teenagers, as the army launched a massive crackdown on Hamas.

Netanyahu’s phone call to Abbas was their first direct political contact since 2012, and took place as Israel carried out a vast search operation in the West Bank to find the three youths, whom the Israeli premier said were kidnapped by Hamas militants last week.

As the manhunt entered its fourth day, Israeli troops arrested scores of Hamas members, among them MPs and former ministers, bringing the total number of Palestinians rounded up since Friday to 150, the biggest sweep in the territories in years.

“I expect you to help in the return of the kidnapped youths and the capture of the kidnappers,” Netanyahu told Abbas.

“The Hamas kidnappers went out from territory controlled by the Palestinian Authority and returned to territory controlled by the Palestinian Authority,” he said.

So far, there has been no formal claim of responsibility, and Hamas has dismissed Israel’s accusations as “stupid.”

Abbas’ office issued a statement condemning “the kidnapping of three Israeli youths.”

It also denounced Israel’s “raids on Palestinian homes” and arrests of “many innocents” during which a 19-year-old Palestinian was killed.

Ahmad Arafat Sabarin, was shot dead during clashes in Jalazoun refugee camp near Ramallah which erupted when troops arrived on an arrest mission, medics told AFP.

Troops are focusing their search on Hebron and the surrounding area, home to some 663,000 Palestinians.

Overnight, soldiers arrested more than more than 40 Palestinians, the army said, including parliament Speaker Aziz Dweik, who is a Hamas member.

New York-based watchdog Human Rights Watch urged Israel to refrain from “arbitrary” arrests in their search for the teenagers.

“Israeli forces should respect the laws of war with respect to the Palestinian population in the occupied territory and not carry out mass, arbitrary arrests,” it said.

“Anyone arrested should be released unless promptly brought before a judge and charged with a credible offense.”

A Palestinian intelligence officer told AFP that the kidnapping bore the hallmarks of a Hamas operation, noting that the Islamist movement had a policy of keeping its captives alive in the hope of securing a prisoner exchange.

The crisis emerged 10 days after the establishment of a new Palestinian government of technocrats, the first fruits of a reconciliation deal.

Netanyahu convened his Security Cabinet later Monday to discuss possible punitive steps against Hamas, which Walla! news site said might include banishing Hamas members from the West Bank to Gaza and “destroying their homes.”

“This is a serious incident with serious consequences, and we will react responsibly and firmly,” Netanyahu told reporters in Jerusalem. “We need to be prepared for the possibility it will take time.”Pundits said the Netanyahu government had been given a “golden opportunity” to deal both a military and a diplomatic blow to its Islamist foe.

“Had Israel arrested dozens of Hamas leaders and imposed a curfew on large areas [of the West Bank] a week ago, the Palestinian Authority would have raised an outcry ... Today the Palestinian Authority is silent,” wrote Alex Fishman in the top-selling Yediot Aharonot newspaper.

Israeli warplanes carried out bombing raids after militants fired two rockets over the Gaza border, both intercepted by the defense system.

Palestinian medics said four people, including a 3-year-old girl, were moderately wounded by shrapnel.

The missing three are Gilad Shaer, 16, Naftali Frenkel, 16 and Eyal Ifrach, 19.

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on June 17, 2014, on page 1.

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu demanded Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas' help Monday in securing the release of three kidnapped teenagers, as the army launched a massive crackdown on Hamas.

Netanyahu's phone call to Abbas was their first direct political contact since 2012, and took place as Israel carried out a vast search operation in the West Bank to find the three youths, whom the Israeli premier said were kidnapped by Hamas militants last week.

As the manhunt entered its fourth day, Israeli troops arrested scores of Hamas members, among them MPs and former ministers, bringing the total number of Palestinians rounded up since Friday to 150, the biggest sweep in the territories in years.

Overnight, soldiers arrested more than more than 40 Palestinians, the army said, including parliament Speaker Aziz Dweik, who is a Hamas member.


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here