BEIRUT

Middle East

U.S. violated sovereignty with Benghazi suspect capture: Libya

  • File - This Sept. 13, 2012 shows a Libyan man walking in the rubble of the damaged U.S. consulate, after an attack that killed four Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens on the night of Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2012, in Benghazi, Libya. (AP Photo/Mohammad Hannon)

TRIPOLI: U.S. commandos violated Libya’s sovereignty when they seized the suspected ringleader of a deadly 2012 attack on the American consulate in Benghazi, the Foreign Ministry said Wednesday.

Special forces carried out Sunday’s stealth operation under cover of night, capturing Ahmad Abu Khatallah near Benghazi and spiriting him out of the country.

“The government condemns this regrettable infringement on Libya’s sovereignty,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Said Lassoued said in a statement, adding that Tripoli had not been informed in advance.

In announcing the operation, Pentagon spokesman Rear Admiral John Kirby would not say whether Washington gave Libya advance notice.

Also Wednesday, Justice Minister Salah al-Marghani said there was already an outstanding arrest warrant for Abu Khatallah. But he said Libyan security forces had not been able to arrest him because of the security situation in Benghazi.

Lassoued underlined in his statement “Libya’s right to judge Abu Khatallah on its soil in conformity with its law, and asks the American government to return him to Libya.”

Four Americans, including Ambassador Christopher Stevens, were killed when gunmen stormed the U.S. Consulate on Sept. 11, 2012, and set it on fire. A CIA outpost was also targeted.

A month later Abu Khatallah told AFP he was not responsible for the attack, but admitted he had been at the consulate on the day of the attack, taking part in a demonstration to protest an anti-Islamist video that was posted on YouTube.

U.S. federal prosecutors have charged Abu Khatallah with murder, carrying a weapon and offering material support to “terrorism,” according to an indictment. The first charge potentially carries the death penalty.

The charges reflect accounts from Libyan officials and witnesses who have singled out him as allegedly taking part in the assault that day.

He was jailed under the former regime of Moammar Gadhafi in the early 1990s for his alleged involvement in Islamist organizations.

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on June 19, 2014, on page 10.
Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

U.S. commandos violated Libya's sovereignty when they seized the suspected ringleader of a deadly 2012 attack on the American consulate in Benghazi, the Foreign Ministry said Wednesday.

Special forces carried out Sunday's stealth operation under cover of night, capturing Ahmad Abu Khatallah near Benghazi and spiriting him out of the country.

In announcing the operation, Pentagon spokesman Rear Admiral John Kirby would not say whether Washington gave Libya advance notice.

Also Wednesday, Justice Minister Salah al-Marghani said there was already an outstanding arrest warrant for Abu Khatallah.


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here