BEIRUT

Middle East

U.S. Mideast peace envoy Indyk resigns after talks fail

File - US Secretary of State John Kerry listens during a press conference at the State Department in this July 29, 2013, after announcing former US ambassador to Israel, Martin Indyk (R), will head the Israeli-Palestinian peace talks in Washington, DC. AFP PHOTO/Paul J. Richards

WASHINGTON: U.S. Middle East peace envoy Martin Indyk has resigned following the collapse of Israeli-Palestinian talks, but the State Department said Friday he would remain involved in the peace effort.

Indyk’s departure had been widely expected after the two sides failed to meet their goal of reaching a comprehensive peace agreement this spring. Indyk, a former U.S. ambassador to Israel, will return to the Brookings Institution think tank in Washington, the department said in a statement.

“Ambassador Indyk will continue to work closely with Secretary Kerry on the Obama administration’s efforts to help Israelis and Palestinians resolve their conflict,” it said.

Secretary of State John Kerry praised Indyk as an indefatigable diplomat who has dedicated decades of his career to trying to achieve peace in the region. “The United States remains committed not just to the cause of peace, but to resuming the process when the parties find a path back to serious negotiations,” Kerry said in the statement.

Frank Lowenstein, the deputy special envoy for Middle East peace, will be the acting special envoy, the department said.

Kerry appointed Indyk as his envoy to U.S.-led peace negotiations that he launched last July.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu suspended the talks on April 24 after Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas forged an unexpected unity pact with the Islamist group Hamas.

In his first public comments on the negotiations, Indyk said in May neither side had had the stomach to make the necessary compromises, and singled out Jewish settlement building on occupied territory as a particular obstacle.

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on June 28, 2014, on page 12.

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here