BEIRUT

Middle East

Bahrain vows to wipe out 'terrorism' after bomb

Bahraini protesters run for cover from tear gas fired by riot police during clashes on March 3, 2014 in the village of Daih, west of the capital Manama, following a rally to protest against the death of Jaffer al-Durazi who died in hospital last week. Durazi, 23, was detained by Bahraini authorities since December 2013 . TOPSHOTS/AFP PHOTO/MOHAMMED AL-SHAIKH

DUBAI: Bahrain vowed Tuesday to eliminate "terrorism," a day after a bomb killed three policemen in a Shiite village, in the deadliest attack on security forces since they crushed the 2011 uprising.

Ministers at an extraordinary meeting pledged to "take the necessary measures to eradicate terrorist groups and those who support them," BNA state news agency said.

The government asked the interior ministry "to carry on relentlessly its combat against terrorism," it said.

Monday's explosion was the most serious attack on the security forces in terms of casualties since the Shiite majority led an Arab Spring-inspired uprising in February 2011 against the Al-Khalifa Sunni dynasty.

Clashes frequently erupt near Manama between security forces and Shiite protesters demanding the ruling family surrender its grip on all key cabinet posts in favour of an elected government.

An officer from the United Arab Emirates was among the three personnel killed in the bomb blast in the village of Daih, on the outskirts of Manama.

He is the first Gulf officer reported to have been killed since forces from the region rolled into Bahrain in March 2011 to boost the kingdom's security forces, which later quelled the month-long uprising.

Bahrain has always maintained that the Gulf force does not take part in confrontations with protesters and has only been deployed to protect vital installations.

The UAE interior ministry said First Lieutenant Tariq al-Shehi was part of a force established as part of common Gulf security pact.

Bahraini security forces deployed in several Shiite villages on Tuesday, establishing checkpoints and arresting at least 12 Shiites, witnesses said.

Security forces have cordoned off Daih since Monday, witnesses said.

In March 2011, Bahrain was backed by security forces mainly from Saudi Arabia when it brutally crushed the Shiite-led protests.

Three years on, the kingdom remains deeply divided, with persistent protests that ignite clashes with police, scores of Shiites jailed on "terror" charges, reconciliation talks deadlocked and sectarian distrust simmering.

The International Federation for Human Rights says at least 89 people have been killed.

Last year the authorities increased the penalties for those convicted of violence, introducing the death penalty or life sentences in cases which resulted in deaths or injuries.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

Bahrain vowed Tuesday to eliminate "terrorism," a day after a bomb killed three policemen in a Shiite village, in the deadliest attack on security forces since they crushed the 2011 uprising.

An officer from the United Arab Emirates was among the three personnel killed in the bomb blast in the village of Daih, on the outskirts of Manama.

He is the first Gulf officer reported to have been killed since forces from the region rolled into Bahrain in March 2011 to boost the kingdom's security forces, which later quelled the month-long uprising.

Security forces have cordoned off Daih since Monday, witnesses said.

In March 2011, Bahrain was backed by security forces mainly from Saudi Arabia when it brutally crushed the Shiite-led protests.


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here