South Sudanese children displaced by recent fighting pose for a photograph at the Bor camp for the internally displaced in Bor town, Jonglei state, April 29, 2014.(REUTERS/Carl Odera)
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
NAIROBI: More than 1 million people in South Sudan have fled their homes at a crucial time of the year: planting season. Famine, aid officials say, could be the result, and the U.N.'s top official for human rights said Wednesday she is appalled by the apparent lack of concern by the country's two warring leaders that mass hunger looms. "It is a simple fact: This is planting season before the rains come, but people who have been forced from their homes or who, even if they remain at home for the moment, have a well-grounded fear of either not being there come harvest or having their crops stolen by ravenous bands of fighters, will not plant," Pham said.That means a very lean period late this year, and an even more ominous period next year, he said.The conflict has put 7 million people at risk of hunger, said Toby Lanzer, the U.N.'s top aid official in South Sudan.Nearly 250,000 children in South Sudan will suffer severe acute malnutrition this year if more is not done now, UNICEF, the U.N. children's agency, said last week.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE