BEIRUT

Middle East

Yemen army kills 6 'Qaeda' militants in offensive

In this handout photo provided by Yemen's Defense Ministry, Yemeni troops take position during the fight against al-Qaida militants in the southern province of Shabwa, Yemen, Wednesday, April 30, 2014. (AP Photo/Yemen Defense Ministry)

ADEN: Yemeni troops backed by aircraft killed six suspected Al-Qaeda militants as they pressed a ground offensive in the south, the defence ministry said on Thursday.

The assault that began overnight focused on the Shabwa province towns of Maifaa and Azzan, the ministry's 26sep.net news website said.

Three vehicles were destroyed and six suspected militants travelling in them killed, it added.

Residents of the two towns said fierce fighting was continuing on Thursday.

The army launched a major offensive on Tuesday aimed at clearing the jihadists from their remaining strongholds in villages and smaller towns in Shabwa and neighbouring Abyan province.

The operation began with a setback for the army when a convoy fell into an Al-Qaeda ambush in which 15 soldiers were killed and 15 more taken prisoner, three of whom were later executed.

So far, a total of 21 soldiers and 21 suspected militants have been reported killed in the ground offensive, which followed intense US and Yemeni air strikes last week.

Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula -- a merger of the network's Yemeni and Saudi branches -- is regarded by Washington as its most dangerous franchise and has been subjected to an intensifying drone war this year.

The jihadists took advantage of a 2011 uprising that forced veteran strongman Ali Abdullah Saleh from power to seize large swathes of southern and eastern Yemen.

The army recaptured several major towns in 2012 but has struggled to reassert control in rural areas, despite backing from militia recruited among the local tribes.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

Yemeni troops backed by aircraft killed six suspected Al-Qaeda militants as they pressed a ground offensive in the south, the defence ministry said on Thursday.

The operation began with a setback for the army when a convoy fell into an Al-Qaeda ambush in which 15 soldiers were killed and 15 more taken prisoner, three of whom were later executed.

So far, a total of 21 soldiers and 21 suspected militants have been reported killed in the ground offensive, which followed intense US and Yemeni air strikes last week.


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here