BEIRUT

Middle East

Drone kills six Al-Qaeda suspects in Yemen

  • Military police troopers man a checkpoint on a road linking the Yemeni capital Sanaa with the oil-producing province of Marib June 26, 2012. REUTERS/Khaled Abdullah

SANAA: A drone strike killed six Al-Qaeda suspects in eastern Yemen Monday, the first such raid since government troops launched their biggest offensive on jihadists in two years, tribesmen said.

In Sanaa, the U.S. Embassy announced the mission would “remain closed for consular services through May 15,” adding that it could remain shut for even longer depending on the situation.

The pilotless aircraft deployed over eastern Yemen targeted a vehicle near Al-Husun, a village in Marib province, killing at least six “ Al-Qaeda members,” tribal sources said.

The United States is the only country operating drones over Yemen, but U.S. officials rarely acknowledge the covert program.

Two weeks into its government offensive, Defense Minister Mohammad Nasser Ahmed pledged an “open war on terror,” at a security meeting in the southeastern city of Mukalla.

The war aims to “cleanse the regions of Yemen” of terror elements, he said.

Yemen’s army says it has inflicted heavy losses on Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula since it launched a major offensive against AQAP strongholds on April 29.

But suspected AQAP militants have also carried out apparent revenge attacks.

Washington regards AQAP as Al-Qaeda’s most dangerous franchise, and the group has been linked to failed terror plots in the United States.

Militants Monday opened fire on an army convoy heading from Azzan to Huta, in the southern province of Shabwa, a military official said, prompting an exchange of fire.

Army troops also killed a Saudi militant with Al-Qaeda named as Majid al-Mutairi in Shabwa, the Defense Ministry’s news website 26sep.net said.

Troops last Thursday announced they had entered Azzan, which had been a jihadist bastion.

The Interior Ministry, meanwhile, said it had beefed up security in several provinces to prevent likely attacks by jihadists and infiltration by Somali jihadists.

Fears of reprisals as well as a spate of attacks against foreigners prompted the United States to close its embassy in Sanaa last Wednesday.

The State Department “has been apprised of information that, out of an abundance of caution and care for our employees and others who may be visiting the embassy, indicates we should institute these precautionary steps,” the mission’s website said.

Last week, a Frenchman was killed and another wounded when gunmen opened fire on their car in Sanaa’s diplomatic district.

Both worked for a private security firm that officials said was guarding the European Union delegation in Yemen.

Yemeni security forces said the head of a terror cell” behind the attack had been shot dead.

Since Sunday, dozens of Al-Qaeda suspects have been rounded up in the capital, a source in the security services said.

The Interior Ministry said checkpoints were set up around the provinces of Sanaa, Ibb, Baida, Lahij and Marib to prevent the entry of jihadists fleeing the offensive in Shabwa and Abyan.

The ministry added it was on alert to “prevent the infiltration of radical fighters coming from Somalia,” without elaborating.

A suspected Al-Qaeda suicide bomber Sunday killed 12 soldiers and a civilian in an attack on a military base in the southeastern province of Hadramawt.

AQAP’s leader Nasser al-Wuhayshi recently appeared in a rare video in which he vowed to attack Western “crusaders” wherever they were.

Jihadists use the term crusaders to refer to Western powers, especially those countries that have intervened militarily in Muslim countries, such as Britain, France and the U.S.

The ongoing army offensive follows a wave of U.S. drone strikes that killed scores of suspected jihadists in southern and central regions.

Both the White House and Yemeni President Abed Rabbou Mansour Hadi have defended the use of drones despite complaints by human rights groups concerned over civilian casualties.

AQAP took advantage of a 2011 uprising that forced veteran strongman Ali Abdullah Saleh from power to seize large swathes of southern and eastern Yemen.

The army recaptured several major towns in 2012 but has struggled to reassert control in rural areas, despite having the backing of militiamen recruited among local tribes.

 
Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

A drone strike killed six Al-Qaeda suspects in eastern Yemen Monday, the first such raid since government troops launched their biggest offensive on jihadists in two years, tribesmen said.

Yemen's army says it has inflicted heavy losses on Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula since it launched a major offensive against AQAP strongholds on April 29 .

Army troops also killed a Saudi militant with Al-Qaeda named as Majid al-Mutairi in Shabwa, the Defense Ministry's news website 26sep.net said.

Troops last Thursday announced they had entered Azzan, which had been a jihadist bastion.

The Interior Ministry, meanwhile, said it had beefed up security in several provinces to prevent likely attacks by jihadists and infiltration by Somali jihadists.

A suspected Al-Qaeda suicide bomber Sunday killed 12 soldiers and a civilian in an attack on a military base in the southeastern province of Hadramawt.


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here