A woman prays for miners during a funeral on May 15, 2014 at Soma in Manisa, two days after an explosion in a coal mine. AFP PHOTO / BULENT KILIC
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Senior Turkish officials denied allegations of lax government oversight and a Turkish mining company defended its safety record Friday, four days after at least 284 people died in an underground blaze at a coal mine in western Turkey.Until now it had been feared that there might be more than 100 victims still in the mine.The mining company's owner, Alp Gurkan, said he had spent his own money on improving standards at the mine at Soma in western Turkey.Huseyin Celik, a deputy leader of Erdogan's ruling party, also defended the government's record.Celik urged people to move on from the disaster.The mine officials said the mine had one safe room which was later made obsolete.The country's opposition party said Erdogan's ruling party had voted down a proposal to hold a parliamentary inquiry into several smaller accidents at mines around Soma.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE