BEIRUT

Middle East

Al-Qaeda gunmen storm Yemeni city, at least 27 people killed

A soldier steps out of an army personnel carrier stationed near a checkpoint in Yemen's southern port city of Aden May 22, 2014. REUTERS/Khaled Abdullah

ADEN: At least 27 people were killed in an overnight raid by gunmen on a city in southeastern Yemen, residents and a local official said on Saturday, as Al-Qaeda continues its fightback against a government offensive in the country.

Armed with rocket-propelled grenades, mortars and explosives, attackers drove in from the surrounding desert on 15 pickup trucks into Seyoun after detonating a car bomb at the entrance to the city in Hadramout province.

Al-Qaeda has carried out many hit-and-run attacks since the Yemeni army drove it from its southern strongholds in Abyan and Shabwa provinces last month. The West is concerned the group could use Yemen, which borders major oil producer Saudi Arabia, as a base for international attacks.

The militants targeted at least seven locations, including the main military posts, the local police headquarters, bank branches and the airport.

Residents said the city's electricity supply was cut during the attack and they heard explosions and gunfire throughout the night. The militants briefly captured some buildings before withdrawing early Saturday.

"They wanted to capture the city and control it," a local official, who asked not to be identified, told Reuters.

The official said 20 attackers died and said they took away 18 bodies. Five members of the security forces and two soldiers died in the fighting, he said.

Local officials said they suspected the attack was led by Jalal Balaidi, a senior Al-Qaeda figure in the region.

Hadramout province stretches from the port of Mukalla in the south to the Saudi border, through arid valleys and empty desert, the type of landscape al Qaeda uses to its advantage across the Middle East.

A regional website, Al-Mukalla Al-Yawm, said the attackers were wearing Yemeni army uniforms. It said that dozens of casualties were taken to local hospitals.

A U.S. ally, with a population of 25 million, Yemen is trying to end three years of political unrest, which began when mass protests erupted in 2011 against Ali Abdullah Saleh, the president of 33 years, who stepped down.

Apart from the fight against al Qaeda, the government faces by southern separatists for independence and battles with rebels from the Shi'ite Muslim Houthi movement, which is trying to extend its control over the north.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

At least 27 people were killed in an overnight raid by gunmen on a city in southeastern Yemen, residents and a local official said on Saturday, as Al-Qaeda continues its fightback against a government offensive in the country.

Al-Qaeda has carried out many hit-and-run attacks since the Yemeni army drove it from its southern strongholds in Abyan and Shabwa provinces last month.

"They wanted to capture the city and control it," a local official, who asked not to be identified, told Reuters.

The official said 20 attackers died and said they took away 18 bodies.


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here