A man walks past three cartoon pyramids with pictures of former Egyptian army chief Field Marshal Abdel Fattah al-Sisi displayed by Sisi campaigners, on a bridge in central Cairo May 24, 2014. REUTERS/Asmaa Waguih
CAIRO: Egyptian jihadist group Ansar Beit al-Maqdis denied on Sunday that Shadi al-Menei has been killed, after security sources said they killed the man identified as its leader.
The group also denied Menei was its leader, in a statement published on Islamist militant Internet forums accompanied by a picture of him reading a report about his "death" on a laptop.
The picture could not be immediately authenticated.
Ansar Beit al-Maqdis, based in the Sinai Peninsula, has spearheaded attacks that killed hundreds of policemen and soldiers since July last year.
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Militants opened fire on two United Nations peacekeepers in Mali's capital Bamako on Monday, killing one and wounding...
Egyptian jihadist group Ansar Beit al-Maqdis denied on Sunday that their leader Shadi al-Menei has been killed.
Egypt's Interior Ministry says a roadside bomb has killed a senior police officer in the northwestern region of the...
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE