A man looks at a vehicle belonging to the Iraqi security forces in the Anbar province town of Hit, October 6, 2014. REUTERS/Stringer
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Up to 180,000 people have been displaced by fighting in and around Hit in western Anbar province since the city fell to ISIS militants earlier this month, the United Nations said Monday.ISIS fighters overran a military base that the Iraqi army had abandoned about eight kilometres west of Hit earlier on Monday, according to an army officer and three members of a government-backed Sunni militia.Before Hit fell to ISIS, the town had been a relative oasis for families who had been displaced from their homes in Anbar province since the beginning of the year. About 100,000 displaced people had been living in Hit, the UN said.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE