BEIRUT

Middle East

Militants attack intelligence site in Somalia

A Somali government soldier holds his position against suspected militants as residents watch during an attack at the Jilacow underground cell inside a national security compound in Mogadishu August 31, 2014. REUTERS/Feisal Omar

MOGADISHU: Islamist rebels blew up a car bomb and gunmen attacked a national intelligence site in Somalia’s capital where suspected militants are held, in an assault Sunday that left at least 12 people dead.

Three soldiers and two civilians were killed along with seven militants, including the suicide bomber who detonated the vehicle packed with explosives, officials said.

After the blast, gunmen stormed the compound but did not reach the underground cells where suspected militants were being detained, Security Ministry spokesman Mohammad Yusuf told reporters.

One intelligence officer, who identified himself only as Nur, told Reuters the gunmen had entered one building, forcing security personnel to fight room-to-room to clear them out. “All the attackers perished in the end,” Nur said.

“It seems their target was to cause a mess here and thus free their militant colleagues held in the underground cells, but that will not happen,” Nur said.

Some of the attackers wore stolen uniforms of the security forces, the Information Ministry said in a statement, adding that all the militants were killed within 45 minutes of the attack starting. It said the two civilians killed had been passers-by.

Sheikh Abdiasis Abu Musab, Al-Shabab’s spokesman for military operations, told Reuters the group was behind the attack, the latest in a series of raids in Mogadishu in recent months, including a July assault on the presidential compound.

“For a long time innocent Muslims have suffered in the dungeons of that prison, subjected to torture and humiliation,” he said in a statement, adding the raid was “in retaliation and as just punishment for the apostate criminals.”

Abu Musab said 15 members of the security forces were killed. Al-Shabab’s death toll after attacks is usually much higher than the numbers given by officials.

The presidential compound, which is situated near the national intelligence site, was also attacked using what has become a familiar tactic: a vehicle tries to blast its way through perimeter security and gunmen charge in afterward.

The president was not present during the July raid.

Al-Shabab, which wants to impose its own strict version of Islam, controlled Mogadishu and the southern region of Somalia from 2006 to 2011. It was driven out of the capital by peacekeeping forces deployed by the African Union.

African forces launched a new offensive this year to drive the Islamists out of towns and other areas they still control. Several centers have been retaken, but Al-Shabab remains in control of some towns and swaths of countryside.

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on September 01, 2014, on page 10.

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here