BEIRUT

Middle East

U.N.’s Iran nuclear probe has stalled again: diplomats

Amano emerged from talks with Rouhani just two weeks ago saying Iran had given a “firm commitment” to cooperation. (AFP photo/Mohammad Berno/Iranian presidency website)

VIENNA: A new and seemingly promising U.N probe of allegations that Iran worked on atomic arms has stalled, diplomats say, leaving investigators not much further than where they started a decade ago and dampening U.S. hopes of reaching an overarching deal with Tehran by a November deadline. Expectations were high just two weeks ago, when chief U.N. nuclear inspector Yukiya Amano emerged from talks in Tehran with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani saying Iran had given “a firm commitment” to cooperation and suggesting that years of deadlock had been broken.

Now two diplomats have told the Associated Press that the International Atomic Energy Agency will issue a confidential report this week saying Iran hasn’t provided information to substantially advance the probe, a finding that could affect talks between Iran and six major powers.

The diplomats spoke only on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the confidential talks. IAEA spokeswoman Gill Tudor said Wednesday that the agency had no comment. Iran’s mission to the IAEA said Reza Najafi, the chief delegate to the agency, was in Tehran and nobody else could talk to reporters.

The IAEA inquiry is separate from the U.S.-led talks. But Washington says a successful IAEA investigation must be part of any final deal. That now seems unlikely by the Nov. 24 deadline – already delayed from July 31 – even if the two sides agree by then on the rest of a deal, meant to limit Iran’s nuclear capacities in exchange for sanctions relief.

The conclusion that the probe has stalled could embarrass Amano, considering his optimistic comments after his talks with Rouhani. It also would strengthen those in U.S. Congress and elsewhere who are skeptical of predictions that Rouhani’s assumption of the presidency last year marked a turn away from confrontation on the nuclear issue.

Iran and the IAEA agreed in February to a new start to the probe after a decade of deadlock, marked by Tehran’s insistence that 1,000 pages of allegations of nuclear activity were based on falsified intelligence from the United States and arch-foe Israel.

Since then, the U.N. agency has sought information on three issues: alleged experiments with detonators that can be used to set off a nuclear explosion; separate work on high-explosive charges also used in nuclear blasts, and alleged studies on calculating nuclear explosive yields.

Iran denies wanting – or ever having worked on – nuclear arms. The diplomats said that as of Wednesday morning it had provided information only on the detonators, which it insisted were used for oil exploration. While such applications are possible, the agency says that its body of interconnected information suggests that they were being tested for nuclear weapons use.

No information has been given on the other two issues, the diplomats said, although two senior IAEA experts pressed Iranian counterparts for seven hours during a visit to Tehran this weekend.

Olli Heinonen, who headed the IAEA’s Iran probe until 2010, also suggested the inquiry was at a standstill, in an email to the AP.

“The tone has changed in Iran, but there are very little movements in substance,” said Heinonen, who is now with Harvard’s Belfer Center think tank.

The diplomats said Iranian officials had dismissed IAEA’s requests to interview those suspected of involvement in the alleged experiments, saying that could expose the scientists to assassination attempts by Israel.

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on September 04, 2014, on page 9.

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

A new and seemingly promising U.N probe of allegations that Iran worked on atomic arms has stalled, diplomats say, leaving investigators not much further than where they started a decade ago and dampening U.S. hopes of reaching an overarching deal with Tehran by a November deadline. Expectations were high just two weeks ago, when chief U.N. nuclear inspector Yukiya Amano emerged from talks in Tehran with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani saying Iran had given "a firm commitment" to cooperation and suggesting that years of deadlock had been broken.

Now two diplomats have told the Associated Press that the International Atomic Energy Agency will issue a confidential report this week saying Iran hasn't provided information to substantially advance the probe, a finding that could affect talks between Iran and six major powers.

Iran denies wanting – or ever having worked on – nuclear arms.


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here