Middle East

Islamist militants leave note on beheaded corpse in Sinai

File - Army trucks carry Egyptian tanks in a military convoy in Al-Arish, Egypt's northern Sinai Peninsula August 9, 2012. (AP Photo)

ISMAILIA, Egypt: Residents in Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula said Wednesday they found a beheaded corpse bearing a note signed by an Islamist militant group linked to ISIS, accusing the victim of being an Israeli spy.

The beheading is the eighth claimed by the group in Sinai in under a month, in a surge of brutal killings seemingly inspired by ISIS, which has been internationally condemned for its atrocities and has been the target of U.S. airstrikes.

Residents from a village south of the town of Sheikh Zuweid in northern Sinai told Reuters by phone that the decapitated body bore a note signed by Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis, saying he was an agent for Israeli spy agency Mossad.

“This is the fate of all who prove to be traitors to their homeland,” the group said in the note, according to the villagers.

A senior Ansar commander told Reuters last week that ISIS had been advising the Sinai-based group on how to operate more effectively.

Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis, the most powerful and ruthless militant group in Sinai, said last month it had beheaded four Egyptians for providing Israel with intelligence for an airstrike that killed three of its fighters.

The group posted a video on Twitter showing the beheadings which resembled images posted on the Internet by ISIS.

Egyptian intelligence officials have said ISIS is also influencing Egyptian militants based just over the border with Libya.

Hard-line Islamist militants have stepped up attacks on police and soldiers since the army toppled President Mohammad Morsi of the Muslim Brotherhood last year after mass protests against his rule.

The government accuses the Muslim Brotherhood of turning to violence following Morsi’s ousting, but the movement has publicly condemned violent extremism in the past and says it remains committed to peaceful means of bringing down the government.

However, with hundreds of Muslim Brotherhood members killed and thousands arrested in a crackdown now entering its second year, older members fear that the youth could turn to extremist groups that seem more effective than the silenced Brotherhood.

In the northeastern Dakahlia province, a security officer’s son was killed in an apparent attempt on the officer’s life, the state news agency reported Wednesday.

Mahmoud Saad and his son were driving in the provincial capital of Mansoura when an unknown gunman opened fire on their vehicle, MENA reported.

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on September 11, 2014, on page 9.

Recommended





Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here