Members of Iraqi Kurdish Peshmerga forces pose in front of an ISIS flag that they took from fighters at a military post, about 30 kilometers north of the northern Iraqi city of Kirkuk, on September 13, 2014. (AFP/Guillaume Briquet)
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
An international rights group called Sunday for an investigation into an Iraqi airstrike on a school housing displaced families that killed 31 civilians, including 24 children, a day after the country's new prime minister ordered the army to stop shelling militant-held populated areas to minimize civilian casualties.Three survivors, interviewed by HRW by phone, said the school sheltered about 70 people from the extended Jurefat family, who had been there for two months after fleeing Tikrit. They said that there were no militants or military equipment in or near the school at the time of the attack.U.S. Central Command said the strikes destroyed a mortar emplacement and an armed vehicle, and brought the total number of strikes to 160 across Iraq since the military campaign began.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE