Federal Police officers detain a suspect in Sydney after Australia’s largest ever counterterrorism raids detained 15 people and disrupted plans to “commit violent acts.”
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Australia's government is seeking broad new security powers to combat what it says is a rising threat from militant Islamists, the prime minister said Monday, on the heels of sweeping counterterrorism raids last week.Abbott said that at least 60 Australians were in the Middle East fighting with ISIS or other militant groups, and a further 100 Australian citizens supported the groups.At least 20 are believed by authorities to have returned to Australia and pose a security risk, and earlier this month the national security agency for the first time raised its four-tier threat level to "high".
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE