Middle East

Saudi Arabia foils ISIS bomb plot, says group hatched in Syria

Saudi Interior Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Mansour al-Turki listens to journalists questions during a press conference in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, Friday, April 24, 2015. (AP Photo/Hasan Jamali)

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia said Friday it had foiled a bomb plot by ISIS and blamed the jihadis for shooting dead two policemen in the capital earlier this month.

The authorities said three bomb-laden cars had been seized during investigations into the killings.

A Saudi man arrested at a farm north of Riyadh on suspicion of carrying out the shooting has confessed that he was following orders received from ISIS in Syria, the Interior Ministry said.

He was identified as 23-year-old Yazid bin Mohammed Abdulrahman Abu Niyan.

The authorities offered a 1 million riyal ($267,000) bounty for a second suspect, another Saudi identified as Nawaf bin Sharif Samir al-Anzi, wanted over several other criminal cases.

During their investigation the authorities seized seven cars, “three of them booby-trapped,” as well as suspected bomb-making materials and tools, said the statement carried by the official Saudi Press Agency.

They also discovered machine guns, ammunition, money and several mobile telephones which revealed an exchange between the attackers and “terrorist elements in Syria,” SPA said.

The two policemen were killed in an April 8 drive-by shooting in an eastern district of Riyadh.

The ministry said that Abu Niyan allegedly carried out the shooting while his partner, Anzi, drove the car and filmed the attack.

According to Abu Niyan, ISIS supplied them with the weapons, ammunition and money to carry out the shooting through a “third party whom they did not meet,” the statement said.

The shooting was the fifth attack on security forces and foreigners in Saudi Arabia orchestrated by ISIS, according to Interior Ministry spokesman Gen. Mansour al-Turki.

The Sunni-dominated kingdom is part of a U.S.-led coalition carrying out airstrikes against ISIS in Syria and Iraq, where the jihadis have seized swaths of territory.

On March 29, two policemen were wounded in a similar drive-by shooting in Riyadh.

Turki told reporters that ISIS was also involved in that attack.

The suspected shooter was arrested while trying to flee to neighboring Yemen, where Saudi Arabia is leading a separate war on Iran-backed Shiite Houthi rebels.

In January, three Saudi border guards, including a local commander, were killed near the border with Iraq in a battle with ISIS supporters, according to Turki.

Westerners have been attacked in Saudi Arabia four times since October. But only one of the incidents, in which a Dane was wounded in a drive-by shooting in Riyadh in November, was blamed on ISIS. Authorities later arrested three suspects.Saudi Arabia also accused ISIS-linked suspects of killing of seven members of the minority Shiite community in Eastern Province in November.

Attacks on Saudi security forces take place occasionally in the Shiite-populated east. However, such assaults are rare in the capital.

Friday’s announcement follows an Interior Ministry warning this week of a possible attack against a shopping center or oil facilities. A ministry spokesman said there was “an alert” involving a mall or oil installations but did not provide further details.

The ministry also said that in the coming days the authorities would give details of a series of other “security incidents” that have been uncovered and foiled.

The ultraconservative country is seeking to deter Saudi youths from joining the jihadi ranks. Fighters from Saudi Arabia, Tunisia and Morocco make up the majority of about 12,000 foreign extremists who have traveled to Syria and Iraq, according to the London-based International Centre for the Study of Radicalization.

Saudi Arabia witnessed a wave of deadly attacks by Al-Qaeda between 2003 and 2006, which prompted authorities to launch a crackdown on the local branch of the jihadi network founded by slain Saudi-born Osama bin Laden.

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on April 25, 2015, on page 1.

Recommended





Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here