Middle East

Saudi-led airstrikes kill at least 20 Yemeni civilians

Shiite rebels, known as Houthis, stand guard in front of Yemen's Defense Ministry building in Sanaa, Yemen, on Wednesday, June 10, 2015, after it was damaged by Saudi-led airstrikes. (AP Photo/Hani Mohammed)

SANAA: Witnesses and officials in Yemen say a Saudi-led airstrike hit a public bus on a highway north of the southern city of Aden, splitting the vehicle in half and killing at least 20 civilian passengers.

They said Thursday that airstrikes also hit a family traveling in a private car and a farmer driving a pick-up truck loaded with potatoes, also near Aden, over the last 48 hours.

A senior military official running an operations room in Aden allied with the Saudi-led coalition said he complained to the Saudis about the incidents. The officials and witnesses spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of reprisal.

Iranian-backed Shiite rebels, known as Houthis, seized the Yemeni capital last year. The U.S.-backed coalition began targeting them with airstrikes on March 26.

 

Recommended





Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here