Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz (C) visits the Grand Mosque after a crane collapsed in the Muslim holy city of Mecca, Saudi Arabia September 12, 2015. REUTERS/Bandar al-Jaloud/Saudi Royal Court/Handout via Reuters
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Saudi Arabia's King Salman vowed on Saturday to find out what caused a crane collapse that killed 107 people at Mecca's Grand Mosque ahead of the annual Hajj pilgrimage.The Hajj, a pillar of the Muslim religion which last year drew about two million faithful, will take place despite Friday's tragedy, Saudi authorities said as crowds returned to pray a day after the incident. Parts of the Grand Mosque remained sealed off on Saturday around the wreckage of the crane, which also injured around 200 people when it crashed into a courtyard.A Saudi official said the Hajj, expected to start on September 21, would go ahead despite the tragedy.The cranes soar skywards over the sprawling expansion taking place beneath the Mecca Royal Clock Tower, the world's third tallest building.It was not the first tragedy to strike Mecca pilgrims, although the Hajj has been practically incident-free in recent years.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE