A Shiite Houthi supporter holds his national flag during a rally in solidarity with the Shiite group on the fourth day of a fragile ceasefire, in the Yemeni capital Sanaa on April 17, 2016. / AFP / MOHAMMED HUWAIS
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Yemen's Houthi rebels and their allies have agreed to join delayed peace talks in Kuwait after the United Nations assured them that pro-government forces would abide by a ceasefire.A Saudi-led coalition launched airstrikes in Yemen 13 months ago after the rebels, who had seized control of the capital Sanaa in 2014, advanced in other parts of the country.The rebels' Al-Masirah television quoted Huthi representative Saleh al-Sammad as saying they agreed to join the talks after receiving assurances from the U.N. envoy and ambassadors that the ceasefire would be respected by loyalist forces.A military officer said Wednesday that 16 rebels and three pro-government fighters had been killed over the previous 24 hours in clashes in the Nahm region northeast of Sanaa.Committees formed jointly by the rebels and loyalists to monitor the ceasefire deployed Wednesday in both areas, said Ahmed Rabie, a spokesman for pro-government members of the committees.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE