Rebel fighters ride a tank in an artillery academy of Aleppo, Syria, August 6, 2016. REUTERS/Ammar Abdullah
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Syrian regime forces redeployed on Sunday to try to avoid being surrounded in neighbourhoods they control in Aleppo, after a rebel alliance said it had broken a three-week government siege.- Food trucks enter Aleppo --Rebels also brought seven pick-up trucks full of fruit and vegetables into the eastern sector of Aleppo which had been under government siege since July 17, an opposition fighter said.The Observatory's Abdel Rahman said the route into eastern districts was open only to fighters and was still not secure enough to evacuate civilians from the area.The rebel advance now puts the estimated 1.2 million people in government-held districts under opposition encirclement, he added.The battle for Aleppo has raged since mid-2012 and is among the fiercest so far in Syria's chaotic multi-front war, which has killed more than 280,000 people since it erupted five years ago.Since the opposition alliance launched its offensive on southern Aleppo on July 31 at least 130 civilians and hundreds of fighters from both sides have been killed, said the Observatory.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE