Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Nabil Fadli, a Saudi-born Syrian who killed 10 German tourists in a suicide bombing in Istanbul, was planning a major attack on New Year's Eve celebrations in Ankara but changed targets after the plot was foiled, two senior Turkish officials have told Reuters.Fadli, born in Saudi Arabia in 1988 where his father was teaching, fought in the ranks of Daesh (ISIS) in Syria and was at one stage captured and tortured, possibly by a Syrian Kurdish militia, before entering Turkey last month, the officials said. A Kurdish official in Syria denied he had entered Kurdish hands.Four other people who registered with the authorities in Istanbul on Jan. 5 alongside Fadli have also been detained and are thought to have been part of a team that planned the attack, the senior Turkish security official said.Fadli's movements in Syria in the months before he entered Turkey on Dec. 18 are unclear, but Turkish officials said there was no question he had fought in the ranks of Daesh.The senior security official and a second government source said Turkish intelligence was investigating the possibility that Fadli had been coerced by the PYD or by Syrian intelligence into the bombing.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE