July 17, 2016, shows the UN special envoy for Yemen, Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed (C), speaking during a meeting of the Yemeni Peace Talks with delegations in Kuwait City. / AFP / KUWAITI MINISTRY OF INFORMATION / HO /
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Yemen's government Sunday accepted a U.N.-proposed plan to end fighting that has left thousands dead, but there was no word from Iran-backed rebels who have intensified attacks on the Saudi border.Under the new plan, a political dialogue between various Yemeni factions would start 45 days after the rebels withdraw and hand over heavy weapons to a military committee to be formed by Hadi.- Rebels reject 'half solutions' --The government's announcement came just hours after the coalition said a Saudi army officer and six soldiers were killed in border clashes Saturday with the Yemeni rebels.In the southern Shabwa province, 18 rebels and 15 loyalists have been killed in fighting since Saturday, other military sources said.The rebels angered the Yemeni government last week by announcing the formation of a 10-member "supreme council" to run the country -- which the foreign minister branded a "new coup".
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE