President of Egypt Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi addresses the United Nations General Assembly at UN headquarters, Sept. 20, 2016 in New York City. Drew Angerer/Getty Images/AFP
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi Monday pledged more jobs for Egyptians to help dissuade them from making dangerous voyages to Europe after more than 160 migrants died when a boat capsized off the country's Mediterranean coast.Rescue workers and fisherman recovered five more bodies on Sunday, taking the death toll in the Sept. 21 shipwreck to 169, with another 169 migrants having been rescued.About 400 people gathered on Monday on the shores of Burg Rashid, near where the boat capsized, waiting for the bodies of about 50 missing Egyptians to be recovered, a Reuters witness said.The IOM says more than 3,200 migrants have died while trying to traverse the Mediterranean this year, while nearly 300,000 had reached European shores safely. More than 1 million migrants from Africa, Asia and the Middle East entered Europe last year.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE