Policemen stand guard in Cairo, Egypt April 28, 2017. (REUTERS/Mohamed Abd El Ghany)
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
A previously unknown militant group with links to Al-Qaeda claimed responsibility Friday for an attack in Egypt's western desert that killed at least 16 policemen two weeks ago, announcing the start of a holy war against the Egyptian state.In recent years most attacks on security forces in Egypt have been blamed on fighters claiming allegiance to Daesh (ISIS).Three security sources said at the time of the Oct. 21 attack that at least 52 police officers and conscripts had been killed when their patrol was struck by militants.The attack was the latest to plague Egypt's security forces who face a Daesh insurgency mostly focused in the Sinai Peninsula but which has expanded to mainland Egypt.It said the Egyptian air force struck 11 days later, killing several members including Abed al-Hamid.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE