The attacks spell an abrupt end to a period of relative calm in Aden.
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Masked militants set off a large car bomb outside a security headquarters in Yemen's southern port city of Aden early Sunday killing at least 17 people before storming the compound, officials said, sparking combat that continued well into the night.In an online statement, the local affiliate of Daesh (ISIS) claimed responsibility for the attack saying they killed 50 soldiers and identified the bomber as Abu Othman al-Hadram. Earlier in the day, Yemeni security sources had said they suspected Al-Qaeda militants were behind the well-coordinated attack.Daesh has not claimed a Yemen attack in almost a year.The group claimed responsibility for a Dec. 18, 2016 attack in Aden that killed 48 and wounded 84 soldiers who had lined up to get their salaries.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE