Houthi militants patrol a street where pro-Houthi protesters demonstrated against the Saudi-led coalition in Hodeida, Yemen December 10, 2018. REUTERS/Abduljabbar Zeyad
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
The U.N.'s envoy to Yemen called Sunday for pro-government forces and rebels to respect a cease-fire in the Red Sea port city of Hodeida, after repeated clashes between the two sides threatened to unravel a hard-won accord hammered out in Sweden last week.Clashes shook Hodeida Sunday after airstrikes and deadly fighting on the outskirts overnight, residents said.At least 29 fighters, including 22 Houthi rebels and seven pro-government troops, were killed Saturday night in clashes and airstrikes in Hodeida province, a pro-government military source told AFP.The pro-government source added that seven rebels had been captured during a Houthi attack on Al-Durayhimi district, which lies about 20 kilometers south of Hodeida city.Thursday's cease-fire accord has been seen as the most significant step toward ending the devastating conflict in Yemen, where more than 14 million people are on the brink of famine.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE