Illegal migrants are seen in the Libyan city of Benghazi, before being repatriated, on January 2, 2018. / AFP / Abdullah DOMA
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
European authorities should not be sending migrants trying to reach the continent back to Libya until the security situation there has stabilized, the chief of Human Rights Watch said.While acknowledging Europe's right to restrict immigration after hundreds of thousands have poured into member states in recent years, Roth criticized a Brussels-backed deal that helps Libya block migrants from trying to reach Europe.At least 3,100 migrants died or disappeared trying to cross to Europe last year, the IOM has said, though attempts have slowed since the deal by Libya and Italy, the main destination, to halt the flow.Shocking images last year of black Africans being sold in Libya have led European officials to stop returning migrants to the country, Roth said.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE