A displaced Syrian girl from Deraa in a makeshift camp in Qunaitra, southwest Syria. AFP / Ahmad al-Msalam
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
The Syrian government pounded the country's opposition-held southwest with barrel bombs, airstrikes and shelling Friday, threatening rebels they will suffer "the next Ghouta".Gen of opposition alliance the Southern Front and Head of the Yarmouk Army, told The Daily Star from Deraa that there had been continuous shelling and airstrikes on the area and estimated that some 20,000 civilians had fled to the Syrian-Jordanian border.After retaking Eastern Ghouta and Homs, Assad is mobilizing forces to regain one of the last remaining rebel bastions in the strategic southwest, despite the area being officially demarcated as a de-escalation zone.The Syrian Government has been sending the Southern Front messages threatening "a situation like Ghouta" as they prepare for a large offensive, Zoubi said.
Civilians pay price of Idlib takeover by extremists
Iraq bombs Daesh meeting positions in Syria
New death toll puts Syria’s dead at 560,000
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE