Neistat said the SDF offensive, backed by the U.S.-led coalition, should have made a bigger effort to prevent civilian deaths.
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
The U.S.-led coalition has made no effort to investigate massive civilian deaths from airstrikes during the battle to recapture Raqqa from Daesh (ISIS), rights group Amnesty International said Friday. Citing Early Recovery Team, an organization digging up bodies to give them proper burials, Amnesty said the bodies of 2,521 people, mostly civilians, who died in the offensive to retake Raqqa have been recovered in the city. The coalition had said in July that its airstrikes on Raqqa between June and October last year had killed 77 civilians.Neistat added that Syrians who are afraid to come back due to the Syrian government's persecution of family members are wary of becoming a minority in neighboring countries such as Lebanon.Neistat noted the zone itself was "totally insufficient" for protecting civilians, at least half of whom are internally displaced persons according to the U.N., from a potential onslaught by government forces.
Mobile health care in Bekaa despite obstacles
LAU students revive debate on prayer space in universities
World Bank’s Bisri Dam decision draws fire
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE