A member of the Libyan internationally recognised government forces is seen during a fight with Eastern forces in al-Yarmouk south of Tripoli, Libya May 7, 2019. REUTERS/Hani Amara
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
A month-old battle for Libya's capital Tripoli risks causing an "exponential" rise in civilian casualties as well as outbreaks of deadly diseases including cholera, the WHO said Wednesday. Both sides are using ever more sophisticated weapons in a conflict straining life-saving hospital supplies near front lines that will last only a few more weeks, Dr. Syed Jaffar Hussain, World Health Organization representative in Libya, also said in an interview.So far, 443 people have been killed and 2,110 injured since the assault by eastern commander Khalifa Haftar's forces on the internationally recognized government, according to WHO. Twenty-three civilians have died, including four health workers.WHO medical teams have performed 200 major surgeries in past weeks, as the United Nations pushes for a cease-fire in a nation split and anarchic since the 2011 toppling of Moammar Gadhafi.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE