Mobile  |  About us  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Subscriptions  |  RSS Feeds  |  Today's Paper  |  Classifieds  |  Contact Us
The Daily Star
THURSDAY, 17 APR 2014
06:58 AM Beirut time
Weather    
Beirut
17 °C
Blom Index
BLOM
1,214.01down
Lebanon News
Follow this story Print RSS Feed ePaper share this
Intelligence war with Israel, CIA ongoing: Hezbollah MP
Hezbollah MP Nawar Sahli speaks during a press conference at the Parliament in Beirut, Lebanon, Tuesday, Dec. 13, 2011. (Mohammad Azakir/The Daily Star)
Hezbollah MP Nawar Sahli speaks during a press conference at the Parliament in Beirut, Lebanon, Tuesday, Dec. 13, 2011. (Mohammad Azakir/The Daily Star)
A+ A-

BEIRUT: Hezbollah MP Nawar Sahli said Tuesday the so-called intelligence war with Israel and the CIA is ongoing.

“The intelligence, security and technological war is ongoing with Israel and America,” Sahli told OTV television channel.

“We have our tools and we are watching their movement,” Sahli said.

He said the U.S. Administration “panicked” after Hezbollah exposed CIA operatives in Lebanon.

In June, Hezbollah leader Sayyed Hasan Nasrallah boasted that the party had identified at least two spies working for the CIA. The party’s leader has dubbed the U.S. Embassy in Beirut a “den of spies.”

Hezbollah made the names public in a broadcast Friday night on Al-Manar television station.

Sahli urged Lebanese officials to keep the “spy” issue out of political bickering “because it is related to Lebanon’s national security.”

"Anyone who criticizes this subject in a negative way would be encouraging spying,” Sahli said.

He said “part two” of the intelligence war would be announced in a timely manner.

Sahli reiterated that according to evidence, a CIA network does exist in Lebanon. He said, nevertheless, Hezbollah did not demand that the U.S. close its embassy in Beirut, but has called on the mission to devote itself to “purely diplomatic work.”

He described as a “dangerous precedent” the recent release of four Lebanese suspects accused of spying for Israel.

Hezbollah has launched a campaign against the Military Appeals Court’s presiding Judge Alice Shabtini over the release of four members of the Al-Alam family convicted of collaboration with Israel, triggering a response from the judge, who insisted the court does not discriminate in its verdicts.

The Military Tribunal had sentenced the four Al-Alams to prison for 10 to 15 years after convicting them of collaboration with Israel. The four were released on bail last week after having been held for two years and 10 months, judicial sources said Sunday.

"This issue has really bothered us and there is a big question mark on it,” Sahli said of the Al-Alam release.

“Accepting an appeal does not mean that the verdict has been cancelled,” he said, adding that “talk about any release is something illegal.”

 
Home Lebanon News
 
     
 
Hezbollah / intelligence war / Nawar Sahli / spies / Israel / Lebanon / United States of America
Advertisement
Comments  

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement


Baabda 2014
Advertisement
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Linked In Follow us on Google+ Subscribe to our Live Feed
Multimedia
Images  
Pictures of the day
A selection of images from around the world- Tuesday April 15, 2014
View all view all
Advertisement
Rami G. Khouri
Rami G. Khouri
Silencing Ayaan Hirsi Ali’s hate talk
Michael Young
Michael Young
Why confuse gibberish with knowledge?
David Ignatius
David Ignatius
Putin will keep rolling, until Obama says no
View all view all
Advertisement
cartoon
 
Click to View Articles
 
 
News
Business
Opinion
Sports
Culture
Technology
Entertainment
Privacy Policy | Anti-Spamming Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright Notice
© 2014 The Daily Star - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Developed By IDS