BEIRUT

Lebanon News

Tripoli mufti says plans for return under way

Prime Minister Najib Miakti meets Sheikh Malek Shaar. Friday, July 20, 2012. (The Daily Star/Dalati Nohra)

BEIRUT: Mufti of Tripoli and North Lebanon Sheikh Malek al-Shaar said in remarks published Thursday that measures have been taken for his return to Beirut after receiving threats against his life.

Shaar, who has extended a visit to Europe and decided to remain abroad for a period of time due to death threats he received, met late Tuesday with former Prime Minister Saad Hariri in Paris.

“Hariri is concerned about the reasons that led me to leave Lebanon,” Shaar told the Kuwaiti Al-Seyassah newspaper.

“I will return to Lebanon. Preparations are under way for my imminent return to Beirut,” Shaar said, without disclosing further details.

The mufti said Hariri, too, plans to make a return to the country, but did not elaborate.

Earlier this month, Shaar said members of the Internal Security Forces had appealed to him to leave the country because his life was at risk.

Hariri, the leader of the Lebanese opposition, has been living abroad since early 2011 after ministers in the Hezbollah-led March 8 coalition forced the collapse of his government.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here