Mobile  |  About us  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Subscriptions  |  RSS Feeds  |  Today's Paper  |  Classifieds  |  Contact Us
The Daily Star
FRIDAY, 25 APR 2014
12:50 AM Beirut time
Weather    
Beirut
22 °C
Blom Index
BLOM
1,214.01down
Lebanon News
Follow this story Print RSS Feed ePaper share this
Prosecutor in Hariri killing to call 557 witnesses
Agence France Presse
A picture of slain former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri is seen displayed at a cafe in Nejmeh Square, that was the last stop prior to his assassination in downtown Beirut, Lebanon, Tuesday, Feb. 14, 2012. (The Daily Star/Mohammad Azakir)
A picture of slain former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri is seen displayed at a cafe in Nejmeh Square, that was the last stop prior to his assassination in downtown Beirut, Lebanon, Tuesday, Feb. 14, 2012. (The Daily Star/Mohammad Azakir)
A+ A-

THE HAGUE: The chief prosecutor for the UN-backed Special Tribunal for Lebanon plans to call 557 witnesses to testify in the trial over the 2005 bombing that killed Lebanese premier Rafiq Hariri, a court document said Monday.

Four members of the powerful Hezbollah movement are to go on trial in absentia next year for the massive car bomb attack that killed Hariri and 22 others including a suicide bomber on February 14, 2005.

"The prosecution intends to call 557 witnesses and the total time estimated for the presentation of the prosecution's case is 457 hours," prosecutor Norman Farrell said in a submission made public Monday.

In June last year, the court issued warrants for Mustafa Badreddine, 51, Salim Ayyash, 49, Hussein Anaissi, 38, and Assad Sabra, 36, and Interpol has also issued a "red notice" for the suspects.

But none of them have been arrested.

The court's judges in October turned down an appeal by the four men's lawyers -- who represent them in absentia -- in which they argued that the tribunal had no jurisdiction in the case.

The trial is provisionally scheduled to start on March 25 next year.

Hezbollah has denied any responsibility for the attack, and its leader Hassan Nasrallah has dismissed the tribunal as a US-Israeli conspiracy, vowing that none of the suspects will be arrested.

Hezbollah is a close ally of Syria and the most powerful military force in Lebanon.

Set up by a UN resolution in 2007 at Lebanon's request to probe Hariri's death, the Special Tribunal for Lebanon is the first court of its kind to deal with terrorism as a distinct crime.

But regional turbulence, including the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad's regime in Syria and the threat of that violence spilling over into Lebanon, have led many to question the court's relevancy today.

 
Home Lebanon News
 
     
 
Lebanon / Netherlands
Advertisement
Comments  

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement


Baabda 2014
Advertisement
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Linked In Follow us on Google+ Subscribe to our Live Feed
Multimedia
Images  
Pictures of the day
A selection of images from around the world- Thursday April 24, 2014
View all view all
Advertisement
Rami G. Khouri
Rami G. Khouri
Israel shows Zionism’s true colors
Michael Young
Michael Young
For Christians, blessed are the dividers
David Ignatius
David Ignatius
An Iran deal is close, but we’re not there yet
View all view all
Advertisement
cartoon
 
Click to View Articles
 
 
News
Business
Opinion
Sports
Culture
Technology
Entertainment
Privacy Policy | Anti-Spamming Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright Notice
© 2014 The Daily Star - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Developed By IDS