BEIRUT: Hezbollah denied Monday any involvement in the assassination of MP Gebran Tueni, days after an Arab television station presented documents alleging the resistance group may have had some role in the killing of the lawmaker.
“Hezbollah denies any involvement in the assassination of late MP Gebran Tueni and affirms its condemnation of political assassination,” Hezbollah said in a statement.
“It awaits the judiciary to say its word on the matter after it was proven that those who claim to preserve peace in the country and its people do not demonstrate a minimal degree of responsibility,” it added, in an apparent swipe at March 14 MPs.
Last week, Al-Arabiya television released what it claimed were leaked communiqués between Syrian intelligence and the state's leadership. In the documents, references were made to Hezbollah and its alleged activities with the Syrian security apparatus.
One of the communiqués – sent from the head of the operations department in Syrian Intelligence Hasan Abdel Rahman to the head of State Intelligence Assef Shawkat – said an operation, referred to as “mission 213,” was successfully completed with the help of Hezbollah members.
The Saudi-based television channel said this communiqué was sent on the same day MP and journalist Gebran Tueni was killed in a car bomb on Dec. 12, 2005.
In its statement Monday, Hezbollah slammed members of the March 14 coalition who quickly denounced the alleged role of the resistance party in Syria and Tueni’s assassinations.
“March 14 coalition’s stance about several issues based on fabricated documents and facts which are not accurate proves day after day that whoever is used to cheating can only excel in fabrications,” Hezbollah said.
“The latest wave of the March 14 is what Saudi Arabia's Al-Arabiya prepared and claimed were documents it obtained from members of the Syrian opposition, inventing events and fabricating accusations that have nothing to do with the reality including the assassination of late MP Gebran Tueni,” it added.
Another communiqué by Al-Arabiya reported the arrival of 250 Hezbollah fighters in Syria in May of 2011.
The document – which the station said was sent to President Bashar Assad from an intelligence officer – said that members of the resistance arrived in May in the Syrian city of Allepo, had taken rooms at the Ramses Hotel and were awaiting orders from the Syrian leadership.
Earlier Monday, Hezbollah Minister Mohammad Fneish said the Al-Arabiya documents were lies.
"The Al-Arabiya documents are lies and not everything that is published is an actual document," Fneish told reporters before attending a Cabinet session at the Grand Serail.
His comments were echoed by Hezbollah MP Kamel Rifai, who said his party was innocent of the claims or inferences arrived at through the Al-Arabiya documents.
Hezbollah has repeatedly denied being involved in the crisis and has urged that Lebanon maintain its dissociation policy toward events in its neighbor.