BEIRUT: A four-member network involved in several bank robberies across Lebanon planned to carry out attacks against military and security leaders as well as judges, a source familiar with the case said Thursday.
“The group was planning terrorist acts, including blowing up the Military Tribunal [court] in Beirut as well as attacks against security chiefs and judges,” the source told The Daily Star.
The source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the armed group was “stealing money in order to fund these operations.”
The gang, which the source said is led by Mohammad J., was arrested last month in the southern city of Sidon.
In an Aug. 20 communiqué, the Lebanese Army said it had detained four men in Sidon.
The statement said some of the detainees were thought to be involved in the Aug. 9 armed robbery of BLOM bank in Elissar, northeast of Beirut.
Lebanese Army officer Zayyan al-Jurdi, who had intervened to thwart the break-in, was shot and seriously wounded.
It said several guns, ammunition, a quantity of drugs and cellular phones were seized from the suspects.
The source said the four suspects, who are still in the custody of Military Intelligence, are likely to be handed over soon to the Military Tribunal.